Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pigletting #2



Doris had her piglets on Tuesday, without fanfare or trouble. I came out to do feedings and she had four piglets. All was well. I got her into the regular pen and checked to make sure there weren't any piglets that had slipped under the paddock. And then I went riding.

Upon returning, I was sitting in with the piglets and kept hearing this squeaking, but nobody was really opening their mouths so I was trying to find where the noise was coming from. I finally found this poor little piglet stuck between two fences, in the heat and full sun. I can only figure out that he was there when I came out in the morning, or was somewhere that I didn't see him and then he tried to find his way back to the litter and got stuck. We tried to pig proof everything but you learn on the first experience. Anyway, poor fellow, he was much thinner than the others and very tired and dusty. But he was fine and went right on milking and is catching up.

Piglets are so different than lambs. I am not sure I am cut out for it over the long haul. We will see. I love my girls, and Earnest, and they are here to stay. But time will tell if we piglet again. It is challenging to keep the pastures viable for everyone. I am keeping my mind open. It is important for me to try new things and challenge myself-it brings in new feelings and sensations and teaches me about new animals and also can touch into things deep inside me I didn't know I needed to tune into.